We seek a faculty director to lead an exciting discovery theme in Foods for Health: Integrating Food, Nutrition, and Metabolomics for Health at the nation's largest and most comprehensive land grant university. Under the Discovery Themes, Ohio State tackles the world's grand challenges including Translational Data Analytics, Humanities and the Arts, Food and Agricultural Transformation, and others. The director advances the food strategy in a robust culture of empowered discoveries.
The faculty director will oversee growth of the Foods for Health: Integrating Food, Nutrition, and Metabolomics for Health strategy in consultation with the lead Dean for this Discovery Theme Dean of The College of Food, Agricultural, and Environmental Sciences [CFAES]. The director will have a vibrant scholarly research program as a tenured faculty member that builds our strategic plan for discovery and facilitates existing projects. The director will develop and lead a strategy that inspires new and existing collaborations, advocates for new faculty positions and facilitates successful recruitment. The director is supported by a Program Manager, a Project Coordinator, and an outstanding leadership team of renowned scholars and other dedicated staff, advancing a campus wide research network in foods for health.
The faculty director position is made possible by the Ohio State's Discovery Themes, part of an unprecedented strategic investment in university-wide faculty hiring in key thematic areas. This empowers the university to build on its culture of academic collaboration to have global impact. The CFAES strategic plan aligns Ohio's highest needs with our greatest strengths. Three signature areas of investment include a key focus on Food Security, Production and Human Health. The University's strategic plan (published 9/2017) will attract, retain and support leading national scholars and rising stars. This position may start this fall 2018 and remains open until filled.
This position builds upon compelling concepts
- A public and private community focused on food and health as a key to societal advance.
- Scholars in all 15 colleges at the nation's leading agricultural and medical research campus collaborating at one university.
- Access to an unrivaled array of shared resources and several well-equipped chemical instrumentation cores supporting food research.
- A university-wide investment in the Discovery Themes.
- Metabolomics is integrated with other -omics approaches to improve human health by collaboration among basic, applied and translational researchers.
- Tenure in Food Science and Technology, a leader in these research areas.
The successful Faculty Director will demonstrate
- Leadership of new and existing multidisciplinary teams within and outside of the university.
- Success in recruitment, hiring, mentoring and retention of outstanding scholars who advance our strategic plan.
- A dynamic extramurally-funded metabolomics research program.
- Inspiring students, staff, faculty and stakeholders with -omic solutions.
- Effective communication of accomplishments in metabolomics to internal and external audiences.
- Oversight and responsible management of budgetary resources.
Candidates should be a tenured professor, a tenured associate professor, or a person with equivalent accomplishments from government or private sector research institutions. An individual who excels in collaborative research and is committed to student success. A nationally or globally recognized scholar with a Ph.D. in food and experience with metabolomics. A person with a track record in funded research. Experience in interdisciplinary research teams. Experience mentoring members of underrepresented groups. Program experience and university teaching experience. A person with managerial acumen and ability to advance alliances among diverse academic and public sectors.
Ohio State resides within the capital city of Ohio. Columbus is the center of a rapidly growing and diverse metropolitan area with a population exceeding 1.5 million. Our area offers a wide range of affordable housing, many cultural and recreational events, excellent schools, and a vibrant economy based on government, service, transportation, education and technology opportunities. Columbus has consistently been rated as one of the Top U.S. cities for quality of life, was 5th in Money's best places to live 2016, and was selected as one of the Top 10 cities for African Americans to live, work, and play by Black Enterprise magazine.
Ohio State is committed to establishing a culturally and intellectually diverse environment, encouraging all members of our learning community to reach their full potential. We are responsive to dual-career families and strongly promote work-life balance to support our community members through a suite of institutionalized policies. We are an NSF Advance Institution and a member of the Ohio/Western Pennsylvania/West Virginia Higher Education Recruitment Consortium.
Our Commitment to Diversity
The Ohio State University is committed to fostering a culturally and intellectually diverse environment and encouraging all members of our learning community to reach their full potential. We are responsive to dual-career families and actively promote work-life balance to support our community members through a suite of institutionalized policies. We are an NSF ADVANCE Institution and a member of the Ohio/Western Pennsylvania/West Virginia Higher Education Recruitment Consortium.